تحذير الأمة عن سم النميمة ، تأليف يوسف شبير أحمد البريطاني
Warning the Ummah of the poison of tale-bearing (Namīmah)
This Arabic treatise is a collection of ḥadīths and statements of scholars regarding Namīmah (tale-bearing). The treatise includes the following:
- 40 ḥadīths regarding Namīmah.
- Statements of more than 20 scholars regarding Namīmah.
- Qurʾānic verses regarding Namīmah and its definition.
- The interconnectedness of Namīmah and Ghībah (backbiting) and the difference between the two.
- The harms of Namīmah and the six actions prescribed by scholars when someone undertakes Namīmah in your presence.
- Is Namīmah a major or minor sin and how should a person recompense for this sin?
By Bassam Abu Sharif, Palgrave Macmillan (2009), ISBN 978-0230608016, pp 288, RRP £14.99
Book Review by Yusuf Shabbir
Bassam Abu Sharif was described as the ‘face of terror’ and the ‘most notorious terrorist’ in the 1960s and 70s when he advanced the cause of the PFLP (Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine). In 1972, a bomb placed in a book sent to him left him severely disabled. Subsequently, he abandoned the use of violence and aligned himself with Yasser Arafat, eventually becoming one of his closest advisors and an architect of the peace plan. In this indispensable personal memoir, Abu Sharif presents a first hand account of all the major events in the Middle East over the last 30 years; from the wars in 1967 and 1982 to the 1993 Oslo accords and Arafat’s death in 2004. Throughout, he reflects on his relationship with Arafat, his role and methodology and how this affected the Palestinian cause.